Sunday, July 5, 2009

BMI is bunk!

OK, so I'm not disclosing what my BMI is, but trust me, I'm overweight. I've often wondered how BMI works-- how it doesn't take into things like muscle weight, bone density, even things like small girls with big boobs-- how all weight is the same. NPR posted a great article on why BMI is bunk-- turns out it's not really scientific, but just a guy who wanted an easy way to do some statistics! No fair!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439&sc=fb&cc=fp

2 comments:

RadioCarla said...

I've long thought that BMI was bogus. It's just too arbitrary. I'm 6' tall with a large frame. Yet, my supposed BMI is the same as someone else who is 6' tall with a tiny frame? That's just baloney!

Unknown said...

Figures that it was a guy had the nerve to come up with a dumb idea like BMI....I'm just hormonal enough myself.. to well....rip his BMI off....smiles.