Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Amy: Week Five - Not too shabby

I’m a few hours away from weigh-in and I’m feeling pretty good. Even if the scale doesn’t reflect it, I’ve had a good week: exercised five days out of seven, stayed within my calories/points each day and didn’t use any flex points (for those of you not familiar with Weight Watchers you have an allotment each week of “extra” points or calories to be used as you need to). And bonus, I met all the healthy guidelines each day. The healthy guidelines recommended by WW are pretty standard like most plans:

Water - 6 to 8 svg/day

Fruits and Veggies - 5 svg/day

Dairy - 2 svg/day

Healthy Oils

Multi-Vitamin daily

Activity

I’ve slowly been working my way through the list and making these elements part of my daily routine. The one that has hung me up for a long time is the dairy. It’s not that I don’t like milk, I do. It’s not that I don’t like cheese, duh, I do. I’ve seen the “got milk” commercials and I know that milk can be an important part of a healthy diet, maybe even help with weight loss efforts**. So while I didn’t need any convincing on the benefits, someone needed to convince me on using all those points for a glass of milk. I only get 25 points a day and an 8 oz glass of (whole) milk is 4 points! But this week, I found a solution to the problem. I’m done crying over spilled undrunk milk.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you Silk Soy Milk Plus Fiber! This product is calcium-fortified making it a suitable alternative to traditional milk on my plan. It’s delicious and is only 100 calories/0.5g fat/5g fiber - which calculates to ONE point for each 8 oz glass. I can drink a glass in the morning and a glass at night and voila! I have my dairy for the day and I can still actually eat.

There are dozens of other benefits to soy milk - go check them out, it might be just what you’re looking for!

So, now you’re saying to yourself, ‘okay, she’s getting the dairy, yada, yada yogurt, but did it make or break the week?’. Well stay tuned, I’m heading to the scale right now!

I'm baaacccckkk! Miss me? Well, you're missing less of me because I lost 1.8 pounds this week. That walking and soy milk - it does a body good! Til next week...

**Please note that dairy is NOT a magic pill to weight loss; but an important piece of the puzzle that includes reducing caloric intake and increasing movement. - Cincy Loser

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Hooray Amy! You're really settling into the groove of this aren't you? You're such a great cheerleader for the rest of us, but we're cheering you on too!

Did the soy milk taste any different? I've always been a little wary of trying it.

Big hugs!

Susan said...

I've been a Silk fan from way back. I mostly have it on cereal, but it's good to drink by itself, too.

Congrats on this week's loss! You're doing great.

PsychMamma said...

Woo-hoo! Way to go! I'm so glad I hooked up with you at stickK, because you are SO motivating me!

Fantastic job! No money for GWB!!

Maura said...

Great job - Congrats!

I'd like to hear more about how the soy milk tastes, too. I tried one kind a while back and couldn't get into it. I loves me my milk!

Amazing Greis said...

Congrats! Way to go! You ROCK and lets hope that my weigh in tomorrow is just as great.

Heather said...

WTG Amy!!

Okay I have to ask as well....how does it taste. I am all for less but does it taste "funky"?

bernthis said...

I'm so proud of you. One of my many jobs is that I am a personal trainer and I know how hard it is when there is so much temptation around you. My suggestion would be to keep the exercise to NO MORE than 5x's a week. Even four would be plenty and you have less of a chance of getting burned out. keep it up kid.

Anonymous said...

Yay Amy! I drink protein shakes most mornings and I always make mine with organic soy. Just makes it taste yummier for some reason.

I can't find my blog said...

Great job, Am!

Kate The Great said...

CONGRATS on the successful week! You are such an inspiration ~ your success and dedication is practically infectious. I hope to catch some of it during our walk Thursday!

As for the soy... Hmm. I love edamame, and I even like tofu in my miso soup, but for some reason I have this impression (however incorrect) that soy milk is chalky and planty tasting.

Yes, I made that word up.

ShannanB said...

I am so proud of you. You are doing amazing!

I am with you on Soy milk. It can't get over my fear that it will taste weird.

Susan said...

Another dairy plus fiber option I love is Fiber One yogurt. 80 cals, very yummy, and lots of fiber too.