Friday, September 12, 2008

Despite it all...


I can't quite believe it. I hopped on the scale this morning and found...yes...wait for it...down 1 lb! Considering the weekend I had in Chicago, I was very happy to see the scale moving in the right direction (163). Yes, it's a slow loss, but I refuse to be discouraged by the simple fact that I'm not dropping weight at an uber-rapid pace.

I'm still feeling pretty stubborn about working out. I have my membership at the Blue Ash Rec, and I haven't been to even see the new building, check out the new gym, etc. To be brutally honest, I'm a little intimidated to go. I knew where everything was in the old building, knew how to find the locker room, the different gyms where the classes were. And now? Now I have no idea where anything is. Considering how ill at ease I feel in the gym, I hate not knowing how to get around in the new rec. I know I should just go, get a tour, ask, but I can't bring myself to do it. For whatever reason, the gym is like the last frontier for me...and I'm such a chicken to try to cross. Starting Monday I'll be working out in Blue Ash, so I will literally have NO excuse to not go work out. Anyone go to the Blue Ash Rec who would want to be an early-morning workout buddy? Ideally, I'd love to take kick-boxing in the morning at 6:15...but how awesome would be to have a friend?

Sidebar: Another issue I have with working out in the morning is the whole "getting ready for work in the locker room" thing. Does anyone do this? Pack your clothes, make-up, everything and literally get ready for the day at the gym? This seems so weird to me! If you have any pointers on how to get ready quickly, please comment!

(Used with permission by Everday People Cartoons)

4 comments:

Susan said...

Hooray for you! Any loss is a good loss, I always say.

I don't do the whole working out before work thing, so no tips there. In the one or two cases when I did go before work, I went back home to get ready. Too many products to haul.

As for being nervous about going to a new gym, think of it this way: There are a bunch of people there across the spectrum, from gymrats who go every day to total newbies as clueless as you. No one notices the others too much, because they're just slugging through their own workouts. And the staff people are paid to help you, so give them a purpose with your questions!

beverly said...

Just remember: Going to the gym is for you & your health. Nobody else matters. I know it can be intimidating, but think about how intimidating it feels to not have any clothes that fits you well & you have a big event you want to look good for. This is about you & only you. You're trying to take care of yourself, & from someone who knows, exercise is one of the best ways to do it. You can do it!!!
Put it on the calendar right now for Monday morning. make that commitment! You'll feel so much better after that first visit!

ShannanB said...

Congrats Monika! That is great news.

I am with you about getting ready at the gym. It's just weird. I tried and just couldn't do it. Would work out at 5:30 am (ugh) and then head home and get ready. It wore me out more than the workout.

Amy in Ohio said...

One pound is fantastic - and exactly what you should be losing each week.

I'd love to be all Biggest Loser and drop 17 lbs in a week (can you imagine?), but that isn't realistic in the world we live in. Jillian, where are you when we need you to yell the weight off?

No hints for the gym> When you figure it out please let me know too!